Merton and Day County Cemetery
Nw1/4 2-115-57, Merton Twp
5 miles south and 4 east of Clark
Send additions or corrections to Gordon C. Meyer email@example.com
The Cemetery was probably started around 1881, The first burial was Mrs Wm Olverson 1890
There were probably 40 graves and one time.
This is a spot better know to most folks as a bird sanctuary than as a cemetery. Milkweed and asparagus hide depressions and mounds of sod and blot out all vestiges of hallowed ground. The woodem markers which originally identified graves have vanished and only depressions indicate that there are many still there. Some have been moved to other cemeteries.
According to the old-times in the area, as many as 40 persons may have been buried here. It was used by Merton and Darlington people and is about an acre in size.
Karen Thoreson Solimar owns the Land. It was originally a part of a tree claim owned by Jane Thoreson Olverson, Irene Bennitt’s mother, who gave the northwest quarter to be used for a cemetery. She was a sister of Oscar Thoreson, Marlow’s father, and also a sister of Elmer Kirkeby’s mother. Erlus and Erlene Benneett inherited it from there grandmother and sold it to Karen.
From This survey the following information has been determined:
Ralph Maltby’s grandfather died of cancer and was buried her 7/3/1888
A Kirkeby baby boy, a brother of Elmer.
Grant—Ethel Roberdeau’s family – some members of family here, maybe.
Mrs. James Thoreson – mother of Oscar who homesteaded near here in 1881. This was Marlow Thoreson’s grandmother. Buried here 1890, but later was moved to Rosehill Cemetery at Clark. Born 1830
Emma Louise Olverson – 2 years old. Buried her in 1878- Irene Bennett’s Sister
George McClellan’s folks.
Jeff F. Palmer – born & died Elsa Grant Palmer’s baby boy –Nephew Ethel Grant Roberdeau